Monday, April 2, 2012

2.5 hours of hula, and a friend!

I really do love Mondays. I go to a semi-private class at my teacher's house - we dance for just over an hour.  Then we go straight to the dance studio for our regular Monday night class, and dance for another hour or so.  You would think that I would just die the second hour, but just the opposite - I think it takes my body that long to get warmed up & loosened up.  The second hour is always better than the first.

A nice bonus tonight - my sister's friend (she's my friend also!) came to the semi-private class!  She has never danced hula before, but is in good shape & has taken other dance classes.  She did great, and had a really good attitude.  I've seen a lot of other new students start over the last year - and those who have a good attitude stick it out and are still dancing. But so many come & say "I can't do that" or "it hurts" or they just don't fully participate.  Not my friend, she did great! 

In the semi-private, we finished learning the choreography for the 'Ote'a we are learning.  I missed over a month because of my concussion.  When I first came back to class and saw the girls doing this dance, I wondered how I would ever learn it.  It is SO fast!!!

In class we spent time practicing poi balls.  We are learning short poi.  I need to start practicing at home every day.  I also need to learn how to make poi balls - so my nieces and I can practice at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment