Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dance class! ipu

Dance class was great tonight.

First was the kids hula class.  I bring two of my nieces, and go & watch, so that I can take notes & video, and observe - so that on Saturdays, I can work with my nieces to practice the choreography.  I appreciate the opportunity to carefully document everything.  But it's hard to just watch & not get up & dance!

The adult class went really well.  The studio was really hot though, so it made it really tough, but maybe it was good for us!  We worked on the hula (Lili'u E) and also the Ote'a (birds) choreography.  I feel pretty good about the Lili'u E, but I have a long ways to go on the Ote'a - it moves very quickly!  We also worked with the puili and ...

Ipu!   I don't have an ipu!  I missed a lot of class in November (skin cancer), December (husband in hospital), and January/February (concussion) - so I must have missed the announcement about needing to buy/bring an ipu to class.  Bummer!  Now I need to wait for the hula implement stores to open up in the morning in Hawaii, and see who can ship an ipu to me pronto. 

I love the sound of the ipu.  Our teacher uses an ipu at every class for some of our workouts/dances.  She is talented at using the ipu. 

Following is a definition of the ipu, from wiki:
"is a percussion instrument made from gourds that is often used to provide a beat for hula dancing."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipu




So, without an ipu tonight, I practiced by clapping my hands, as if one of my hands was the ipu.  I'm excited to try out the actual ipu!

No comments:

Post a Comment