Friday, March 2, 2012

365 days of hula

365 days of hula?  Can I do it?!  Sounds impossible, but rewarding & fun! 
I am going to attempt to spend time every day doing some sort of "hula" exercise, and blog about it.  I love the word hula, it is easy to say & remember - but I am also including all forms of Polynesian dance, primarily hula and Tahitian, but others as well as I learn those, such as Samoan, Maori, Tongan, ... 

Am I hula dancer now? No, not really.  I've been taking hula dance classes for about a year from an amazing teacher!  But I am still very much a beginner!  I find hula dance VERY hard & challenging, and an incredibly good workout. 

Why am I doing this?  I need the exercise, and want to get in shape & lose weight.  Hula is the only exercise that I have ever truly enjoyed & been able to stick to.  I have always loved watching all forms of Polynesian dance!  And if I blog about this, maybe I can stick to it!

Why 365 days?  Well, I have a long ways to go to be in great shape, be a dancer, and lose weight.  So 365 days it is!  I've been dancing 2 days a week about 75% of the last year - which is wonderful, but not enough to significantly change my body & abilities.   I am always so inspired by all the bloggers out there, but especially those who take on a 365 day project. 

How am I going to do this?  I am going to find ways to practice my hula & EXERCISE every day, some how, some way.  Two days a week I have the honor to attend class with the most amazing instructor & dancer - I wish I could take classes from her 7 days a week, seriously!  For the other 5 days a week, I am going to dance at home.  I cleaned out my basement & created a "hula dance studio" - not too fancy, but spacious & fun, I love it!  Having a space to dance is helpful!  Several of my nieces are going to come over a few days a week and dance with me (they just started classes with my teacher as well, so now we can practice what we have learned!).  Leaving me with a few days alone, when I will practice what I have learned in class, and mix it up a bit with some DVDs & youtube videos.  Over the years I have purchased every hula DVD I could find, but have never even used most of those!  I also plan to spend some time studying more about hula & Polynesian dance, the terminology, history & meaning (research/reading/books/videos).

What do I hope to accomplish?  LOSE lots & lots of weight!!!  Get in shape.  Feel great.  Reduce stress.  Enjoy the class, my classmates, my nieces.  Learn more about the significance of the dance in the Polynesian culture.  And maybe, just maybe, get good enough to perform 1 song occasionally with the performing group at the various luaus that I plan/host. 

My nieces!  I am so honored that several of my nieces want to learn hula/Polynesian dance as well.  They are SO cute, so excited, and so inspirational.  I am going to be very serious with my commitment to them to spend time dancing each week. 

But 7 days a week?  I know, seems crazy.  It is crazy!  It won't be easy.  And I do believe in Sunday being a day of rest.  But 365 days means 7 days a week.  So on Sundays, I plan to keep the dance more low key, perhaps more of the meaningful hula, focus on choreography more than the workout, find the spiritual meaning of the dance, ...  (kind of like going for a Sunday walk to enjoy the scenery & fresh air).

First big goal - I am going on a big trip in 13 weeks to AUSTRALIA!!! That's only about 92 days away!  Oh my!  No, I don't plan to perform hula in Australia (maybe I'll teach my niece & nephew a few basics).  However, I need & want to lose LOTS of weight before then - so that I can fully enjoy the trip, and survive 21 hours each way on the plane.  My awesome son and I are going to visit my brother's wonderful family.  It is our first time leaving the United States.  We are so incredibly excited about the trip!  So I am going to think about Australia as motivation on those days I don't really want to exercise!   365 days of hula will be really hard while traveling, especially on the day we are in flight all day - maybe I can teach hula to my fellow passengers!  :)

Check out this beautiful dancer! Who doesn't want to look like that! Very inspiring.   I borrowed this photo from an old post from my dance teacher, hope she doesn't mind.  :)

Time to get dancing!




No comments:

Post a Comment